Saturday, October 14, 2006

Optimise content is key to its use and value

Confused of Calcutter (JP Rangaswami), of which much in the past and much in the future, commented:

I must have missed it the first time around, and only saw it via Boing Boing (thanks, Cory!).

Reuters reported last Friday that “Book sales get a lift from Google scan plan“.

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry when I read the story. Read it for yourself.

Someone’s finally figured out that letting people ‘taste” books actually helps sell books. Even obscure ones. Especially obscure ones.

I guess the penny had to drop sometime. As Doc is wont to say, they will make money because of the excerpts rather than with the excerpts.

He mentions Doc Searle of the ref="http://www.cluetrain.com/">Cluetrain Manifestoa> fame (among other things). Cluetrain was online long before it became a best selling book (made out of trees).

These are different media. Why do people find it hard to understand that we like to use different media at different times. I do not want to 'read a newspaper' online. I read newspapers that are printed on paper. I get news online - that is different.

If I want to watch a movie I go to a cinema. If I want to watch a video, I put it in my TV, if I want to watch an online movie, I use my computer. These are different activities. There is different emotional and experience attached to each.

I really do not want to watch a film on my cell phone - thank you very much.

Optimise the content for the media - this is not hard to understand.

All the nuts talked about 'protecting film copyright online' just shows how paranoid the film distributors are. If they stopped listening to lawyers for just a day, they would find out exactly how GOOD it is to have OPTIMISED content online - and they would make money from it.

It is also how to find out about convergent values in relationships.



No comments:

Post a Comment