- Consider one of the major elements of PR: communication. Imaging that revolutions such as painting, writing, printing, radio and television, the web and social media were but a prelude to telepathy?
- A key area of PR is the development of trust and ethical debate in an era when technologies like blockchain automated many trust based activities and (existing) AI system can listen to a boardroom conversation and take all the evidence and arguments into account and challenge the reasoning of humans (and even make ethical judgements).
Humans still needed
Questions to consider.
- Is this a linear approach?
- Is this response limited by technofear/lack of knowledge
- Is this too far in the future to be relevant to my kind of practice
- “Can this emerging technology be adopted for PR applications?”
- “Can this emerging technology be adapted for PR applications?
- “How far along the hype cycle is this technology?
- “How can this technology be introduced to acceptable, ethical and common PR practice?
- What is the narrow and wider threat of this technology?
Examining #AIinPR from the Global Alliance Global Body of Knowledge perspective
- Simplification – technology that simplifies a public relations process, or provides a tactical service
- Listening and monitoring – media and social media listening and monitoring tools
- Automation – automation of tactical tasks
- AI for structured data – machine intelligence applied to structured data
- AI for unstructured data – machine intelligence applied to unstructured data
- Skills with zero tech or AI
- Skills or portions thereof that may have a minor contribution from tech or AI tools
- Skills where tech or AI is already more prevalent
Mike Kelly et al are working on how to make better use of the vast amount of accumulating evidence from behaviour change intervention (BCI) evaluations and promote the uptake of that evidence into a wide range of contexts to implement background behavioural change and at the same time create relationships. It sounds like a PR dream!
Flexibility with constant changes,
Familiarity with theories and its application
Skills with zero touch - a perspective.
Jean Valin put forward a perspective that there are PR skills beyond the reach of AI in the near future. I have put forward a contrary view and have shown that most ‘zero touch’ activities have an AI counterpart.