- Identify the sector (culture)
- Identify the key descriptors (concepts) common to, and unique to the sector (culture)
- Identity changes and the rate of change
- Identify the media of most significance to the culture e.g. Newspapers, magazines, radio, TV, digitally enabled channels (from Netflix to Twitter).
- Develop capability to affect the culture.
- There is very little future for the practitioner who does not have such skills. The reason is simple. Traditional media has a problem.
There is a lot of evidence.
The revenues of news channels is disappearing.
Digital advertising is expected to grow by 12% in 2015 to £8.1bn, making the UK the first country in which £1 in every £2 will go to digital media. The internet is expected to overtake TV to become the largest medium for advertising in 2016.
To what extent is this reflected in the activities of the CIPR, PRCA and universities?